MONTREAL – April 3, 2012 — Matrox® Video Products Group today announced that video equipment manufacturer Visual Research Inc. (VRi) has chosen the Matrox X.Mio2 card, one of the Matrox DSX™ Developer Products, as the heart of its Karisma 3D graphics system. South Korea's major broadcasters MBC and SBS will be using Karisma for HD coverage of the 19th general election in April and the presidential election in December 2012. After an intense competition among international and local equipment suppliers, VRi was awarded the contract, which will see 25 systems installed at MBC and three systems installed at SBS.
"With Karisma 3D, TV stations can now change ordinary broadcast graphics into eye-catching 3D graphics and 3D animations," said Charles Kim, VRi president. "We chose the Matrox X.mio2 cards for their multiformat HD/SD codec support in software and their more advanced on-board processing compared to other I/O boards. In addition, they have provided the high level of reliability so critical in CG systems where failure during a broadcast could be disastrous."
"We congratulate VRi for their success in winning this important contract with their Karisma 3D system,” said Alberto Cieri, Matrox senior director of sales and marketing. "We are proud that Matrox products will be used in these systems to provide state-of-the art television coverage to Korean viewers during the upcoming elections."
Matrox Developer Products will be demonstrated at the 2012 NAB Show in booth SL 5115.
Key features of Karisma 3D
- VRi realtime OpenGL graphics rendering technology
- Integrated 3D animation and modeling tools
- 3D chart creator
- Multitexture mapping
- 3D object creation — cube, sphere, cylinder, cone, etc.
- Phong, bump, and refraction shader support
- Collada 3D, OBJ, 3DS file format support
- Dynamic particle system
- Enhanced realtime keyframe animation
- Camera and light animation
- TAPi (TCI/IP Automation Protocol Interface) support
- COM interface-based SDK support
Key features of Matrox DSX platforms
- Modular architecture gives developers the flexibility to meet technical and price targets
- Multichannel 3G, HD, and SD video/audio I/O support from a single card
- Matrox Control Engine (MCE) enables advanced failsafe functionality
- Extensive native codec support in HD and SD, including DV, D10 for IMX, HDV, DVCPRO HD, MPEG-2 4:2:2, MPEG-2 4:2:2:4 YUVA, MPEG HD for XDCAM HD, MPEG HD422 for XDCAM HD422, AVC-Intra for P2, H.264, Apple® ProRes, and Avid® DNxHD
- Cross-platform file format support — MXF, MOV, AVI, MPG, GXF, etc.
- Multilayer onboard HD scaler/compositor
- Professional realtime effects including sub-pixel 2D/3D DVE, color correction, chroma/luma keying, graphics overlay, smooth speed changes, etc.
- Application development support by a team of dedicated, experienced engineers
MBC is an integrated multimedia public service broadcaster with an extensive national radio and television network in South Korea. MBC's driving purpose is evident from its very initials, which stand for Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation. The word 'Munhwa' in Korean means "culture". Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation prides itself on being Korea's leading public broadcaster. MBC presently operates a single terrestrial TV channel and three radio channels. It is the unique combination of a public institution, a private corporation, and a commercial enterprise when viewed in the context of its programming, ownership, and revenue source. For more information visit MBC.
SBS (Seoul Broadcasting System) is Korea's largest commercial broadcaster, delivering its programs via television (terrestrial, cable, and satellite, including an HD service) and radio. It is one of three premium channels in Korea, and employs over 1,500 staff. For more information visit SBS.
About Visual Research Inc. (VRi)
Visual Research Inc. is a leading manufacturer of professional on-air graphics solutions for the broadcast industry. Established in 1993, VRi has been providing high-quality and cost-effective real-time broadcast graphics solutions with user friendly production environments. From basic character generation to full 3D graphics production in HD/SD platforms, VRi graphics solutions offer outstanding quality with maximum convenience. For more information visit Visual Research Inc. (VRi).